Saturday, August 14, 2021

The First Summer

    


    Our move to La Carlota was in late February, 1946, so we had not yet experienced all the events of a full summer. My parents took over the work begun in 1938 by Hill and Dorothy Maconaghy and continued by Paul and Dortha Dowdy. When they moved mid November to another town, my parents were alone to carry on the ministry in four towns. 

    In December they added another meeting! Dad wrote, One of the believers lives quite a distance from the salón. Realizing that one must have much interest to come so far to a meeting, he thought it would be nice to have meetings in his home. The first time there were 19 present, 28 the second. The attendance kept growing to the point that the "annex" had more attendees than the main meeting hall.

    Summer expectations, in addition to the regularly scheduled services, included a Christmas program, Daily Vacation Bible Schools in each town, a week or more at camp, and another at conference. Pastors got together in October to plan these events. 

    Nélida Nuñez, a young full-time worker, was sent to lead the DVBS programs in our area. Scheduling all four throughout the summer could be a problem. The first one was held before Christmas. Another was postponed a week due to the weather. Summer rains interrupted the classes a few times. My parents enthusiasm and dedication was not dampened. As a family we were present to help out with each one. 

    In one town, Alejandro, an older mission point,we stayed for the duration. My parents took cots and the essentials to spend the nights in the salón. Mother wrote, We have two rooms here. One is the kitchen with running water and the other is where we have our meetings. We sleep in the meeting room and eat in the other. . . This is one of the nicer salons but one of the least encouraging groups.

    A few photos tell me more about my parents participation. Dad drove around the town with the mounted loud speaker to announce and invite people to the meetings. And Mother played the harmonium, a small portable pump organ. 


    There are very few of my own memories of this period of my life. However, one incident stands out. Do I remember it or have I been told the story so many times? It happened that on a trip to one of the towns, I don't know when or where, my dad and I were alone and the car rolled over. I was trapped and handed out through the window unhurt. The dirt roads were treacherous. In dry seasons the dust was so thick cars got stuck and when it rained, the mud and puddles were impassable. Perhaps the roads and weather conditions were too new to Dad. There was mention in one letter that a couple of men had offered to drive because he did not know the roads and their potholes.

    Sandwiched between these events, was church camp in January. The first one was held in 1941, almost as an experiment. The missionaries had known the impact of these retreats as they grew up in their own country, but it was a foreign concept in Argentina. They started out very small, but the impact was such that the attendance nearly doubled the following year. 

    Other challenges were to find a suitable location, preferably away in the hills or countryside, with shade, water, and a place to swim. Then there was the problem of transportation. Trucks and cars were used to carry the campers and equipment from Río Cuarto, the central church and mission headquarters, to an ideal spot in the sierras of Córdoba. 

    I do not know where the 1947 camp took place, only that three men, including Dad, went on a search in August, but finally settled on the same location as the previous year. 

    Mother started writing the family letter in her beautiful handwriting on a Thursday at 10:30 PM: 
    At the moment I'm sitting in the dining room tent with noise and shouting all about me so if I don't make sense it won't be strange. We've had our evening meeting and now the kids are playing games for awhile yet.
    Monday morning about 7:30 we left La Carlota for camp. For dinner we were at Dowdy's[now in Río Cuarto], then the whole group left about 4 o'clock. About 6 something we arrived in camp.

    What do I remember about that camp? Obviously as a two-and-half year-old, nothing. But as I look at the photos, I interpret them with the understanding of my own memories of many years. I remember fun trips traveling to camp in the back of a truck.


    Dad continued the letter, Kathryn didn't have time to finish this letter in camp so I will try to finish it now. The Lord helped me wonderfully in the study which I had to present. They all seemed to understand and absorb the teachings. He enclosed an outline. I was amazed at the content, the organization, and especially the perfect Spanish.

    I found an article by Mrs Ricardo Wagner, "Young People's Camps in Argentina" (Brethren Missionary Herald, Vol. 9, 1947). She describes the daily program planned by a special committee.
". . .a devotional period before breakfast, breakfast, and after a short interlude, three or four Bible studies in the morning. Between these Bible classes is a brief intermission during which some type of supervised recreation is provided for those who feel they must exercise. Short song services are also held during the morning. After the noon meal a rest period is insisted upon, sometimes with some difficulty. . . brought to a close by afternoon refreshments consisting of "mate cocido" . . .
The rest of the afternoon is given over to recreation such as swimming, hiking, ball games and as many other games as it is possible to crowd in. . . The recreation is interrupted by the evening meal early enough so that it can be over before dark. It is supposed to conclude the day's activities but the young people have always wanted to continue with a game or two afterwards."
    The next photo tells me that I was happy to see Mrs. Dowdy a month from their move. I remember doña Elena, the hired cook, for the wonderful meals and her efficiency running the kitchen. The wives all worked together with her. My favorite meal related memory from later years as a young camper, was afternoon tea time--mate cocido and pan con dulce.
    
Mrs. Dowdy, Rita, doña Elena

    Laura Wagner's article helps us understand this makeshift kitchen that fed us so well.
"Naturally the place requiring most equipment is the kitchen. A special kerosene stove has been built consisting of a row of burners connected to a large pressure tank. Tables with shelves underneath for dishes are set up like a counter on one side and down the center of the kitchen providing cupboard room and a place to work. Of course the dishes often get dusty because the shelves are open and our floors are lose dirt, but then we are camping and dust will come off with a towel! Both the stove and tables have proven very practical in taking care of conference crowds as well. In exchange, camp expenditures have been kept down by being able to use the conference supply of dishes, kettles, etc. The Bible Coach equipment is also pressed into service and the Bible Coach itself has given very satisfactory service in hauling supplies and for storage purposes. The only difficulty with our running water is that it runs in the creek below us and has to be brought up to the kitchen by manpower. 
The dining room furnishings consist of specially made table tops resting on saw-horses and the Bible Coach folding benches. A small pulpit and a folding organ at one end is the addition necessary to make the same place serve as class room. 
In the dormitory tents, he furnishings are provided by the young folks themselves, each one bringing what he needs for the week. A rope stretched between the two large tent poles provides closet space fo the girls."

Ever a favorite camp experience was the hike in the sierras. I am fairly certain that I did not go on the excursión that first year. 

    The following photo confirms my suspicion. I'm glad my twenty-five year-old mother was able to enjoy the outing without me.


     It appears there were plenty of willing babysitters available to look after me! I am reminded that guys and gals had separate swimming areas.


     
    The Argentine Grace Brethren eventually purchased their own camp site and upgraded to buildings and modern equipment. Sessions for different age groups were added as well as a family camp. For eighty years now the tradition continues strong. 
    

    So, how did my family survive this intense summer? Did we need or want a vacation? I will talk about that in the next chapter. But for now what comes to mind is one of my favorite verses: "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them (Eph. 2:10 ESV)" I do believe my parents lived like this, walking into what God had already prepared for them, and trusting that His grace would sustain them. 

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of that summer camp - it reminds me of the camp meetings (cammeetin) that some churches in my area have every year. Many families have wooden lean-tos that they stay in for the week. I wrote a poem about going to one one time (but as per usual for me, it was a bit irreverent). You can read it here if you like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed the poem and post! Especially the "Chasing and chaste" sentence!!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete