Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Births and Beginnings

 

    Soon after our brief family vacation in the sierras of Córdoba, Mother wrote in a note to her parents (March 23, 1947): Rita needs a little sister or brother and we trust she will get one someday. Soon it will be three years and that's a long time. 
   
    Dad also mentioned their desire, We do see each day that she needs a brother or sister. Then he goes on to explain why, she is rather nice at home, but once she gets with the other children--everything is hers.

    Another motivating factor could have been the presence of new babies within the missionary community. Late in November, my parents wrote, the Schrocks are expecting two instead of one. The doctor thought he could hear two heart beats, and then after they had an X-ray picture, they could very clearly see two heads, two backbones etc. May the Lord help them . . . they just started in with their preaching points last week . . . baby[ies] to come anytime now . . . However, I don't believe the Lord gives us anything to do without also giving us the necessary strength. The Schrocks have only clothes enough for one baby. 
   
    Then on December 5 Dad wrote, The Schrock twins were born December 2. They named them Norman Edward and Rebecca Ann . . . We're anxious to see them now, but perhaps it will be some little time yet because they are some sixty miles away. We have a car and would pack up and leave tomorrow, but the tires are so poor that we must save them for the work in our towns. Kathryn is having two sweaters made for them. Women here will make a sweater for a small baby for two pesos or 50 cents.



    For my third birthday in May, Daddy made me a doll buggy. Were they hoping to prepare me to welcome a baby into the family?
   
    My parents added further descriptive details of me at age three for the faraway grandparents. Rita is growing more in her actions than in her body; she is really a small one. . . seems to be very healthy and rather plump, wrote Dad. 
   
    Earlier, in response to specific questions, 
Mother had written, She's about 34" tall and weighs about 30 lbs. Just a chubby runt. She still is wearing the same dresses as when you saw her. Just now I heard her say "Buen provecho" to Margarita. Whenever you see someone eating you say that, meaning that you wish their food to taste good and settle well.
   
    Dad responded further,  You asked if Rita talks Spanish. The question is does she talk English. She knows several choruses in Spanish and we were just thinking that she doesn't know a single song in English. She likes to line her dollies, bears, and dogs up in a row and lead them in the songs, first announcing the hymn or chorus and then singing it.

    Not long after, God granted their desire--my mother became pregnant.


    On the reverse side of the photo I could barely read the faded note penciled in her beautiful handwriting.
October 1947  
Taken in too bright a sun but is quite good of Rita. The dress is the one Sam gave me for my birthday. He got it sent from the States through Mother Hoyt.
    Unfortunately, the treasure trove of letters has run out. From here on I am forced to rely on random articles, photos, the stories passed on in our family, and my own feeble memories. I am immensely grateful for the years of correspondence that survived and came into my possession.

    Among the stories passed down in our family, was one about a two-hour bus ride to Río Cuarto when they could not keep me quiet. I was constantly making noises. When asked why, I answered, "Soy una máquina para hacer ruido." (I am a noise machine.) I long assumed that it was when we traveled to the city to fetch my baby sibling. But I am unable to verify the exact occasion for lack of letters.
    
    However, the arrival of a baby brother is well documented by the birth announcement and photos that survived these many decades.




    I appear to be thrilled to have a baby brother. Around this time, there was another "birth" that has brought me lasting joy--my own welcome into the family of God.

    First, let me introduce a name and person that stands out so prominently in my memories, la señorita Krieger, as we called her. Theda Krieger was the pioneer of the evangelization of children, the founder in 1947 of LAPEN (Liga Argentina Pro-Evangelización del Niño). 


    When she was five-years-old, she opened her heart to Jesus, but when she wanted to respond publicly to the invitation, an adult stopped her and said this was not for her. She lived five years of soul torment, feeling unworthy and rejected, until she understood the truth that Jesus calls and welcomes children. 
    
    At age 100, she invited one and all to celebrate with her what God had done. On that occasion she gave a passionate plea for people to carry on after her. "If all of you here told one child per week of the love of Jesus, that He is preparing a place for them in heaven if they invite Him in, just think how many would know!"


    My mother always told me that I prayed with Miss Krieger to invite Jesus into my life. I cannot recall the experience nor pinpoint a date. However, I believe it. True to her life passion, she did not miss an opportunity to share the love of Jesus with any child that crossed her path. I was one of those, at age three. 
    
    What I do remember distinctly is that every time I heard of Jesus knocking at the door of my heart, I prayed to let Him in. Then one day a Miss Hebe explained that He would not leave me, thus I need not invite Him over and over. His Spirit comes in to stay and fellowship with me forever. 
    
    As I grew, I came to understand and love Revelation 3:20 (NRSV): 
"Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me."

2 comments:

  1. You were so adorable! I'm VERY SAD that you don't have any more letters. I wonder if getting siblings helped with your (very natural) selfishness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope God has used siblings and other means to curb selfishness! Ha!

    ReplyDelete