![]() |
| Lynn (6 1/2) by gospel poster |
At the very beginning of the work, in the year '54, we made a post with its corresponding frame for posters. Mrs. Fischer spent many hours preparing the posters we hung there. Only eternity will reveal the eternal results of sowing the gospel in this way. (Paragraph from Dad's farewell message to the Don Bosco congregation at the end of ten years.)
I always admired Mrs. Fischer's art and now looking back even more as I recognize the time and dedication that went into this very creative way of sharing Bible messages. Each poster was an exquisite work of art. I wonder how many she made over the years and where they ended up afterward?
![]() |
| Mr. and Mrs. Fischer, Rudy and Mirta |
In another paragraph, Dad talks about an early milestone event.
In January of 1954 we had our first baptisms. We had a canvas pool made to use in a hole dug to the same measurements. Because they had a larger yard, and also because some from there asked to be baptized, the event was held at Maconaghy's place in José Mármol. So, among those baptized were Mr. and Mrs. Rodríguez, Mrs. Ravera and Rita Hoyt.
![]() |
| Margarita, Camilo & Graciela Rodríguez |
![]() |
| First baptismal celebration in Mármol |
Last Friday night we had a very nice meeting here - it was our first Bible Institute class. There were 12 who came - some, in fact 4, I was not expecting. There are others I would like to get interested and see them come into the work as pastors later on. We're studying the doctrine of Salvation including the doctrines of grace, election, calling, faith, repentance, conversion, justification etc. Some of the boys want to extend the time to two hours weekly so I think we'll take up Bible Synthesis or the Analysis of some book. This means lots of work for me because I forget many of these details as fast as I study them. But it is good for me and helps in every way.
Dad, always busy with his hands, also commented,
Brother Maconaghy was here just a while ago to get some more of the chairs which we made for their meetings. In all we made 45 folding chairs - 20 for here and 25 for the Macs. They are quite a blessing for us because our quarters are so reduced that everything has to be folding. We'd like to have a set of book shelves . . . but we can't seem to find any place for the bookcase.
Meanwhile, family dailiness and special events continued. March 23 I had my first annual piano exam which involved going with the teacher by train to the Conservatorio Santa Cecilia in the city, waiting my turn to enter the examination hall alone, playing my pieces from memory and waiting for the judges decision. Even though I had not been taking weekly piano lessons for an entire year, I was now in second year. The teacher lived nearby, around the corner from our house. I wish I could remember her name. If I could ask Lynn, he would know.
Lynn began to study paino this morning. We are so satisfied with Rita's teacher that we thought we'd start Lynn also. He's just thrilled -as to whether he'll continue time will tell. He just couldn't wait to go for his class this morning. Ever since a little before 8 when he got up, he kept asking how soon he was supposed to go. Finally at 20 of 10 he went.
Both of us had renewed our English studies following the Calvert Course. Mother tried to spend three hours helping me and one with Lynn. Afternoons, I attended the local elementary school, Escuela 42, and was in cuarto grado, equivalent to fifth grade because the so called first grade was spread out over two years as primero inferior and primero superior.
Mother also sewed our clothes. Dad wrote, "Kathryn has been busy sewing a suit for Lynn, long pants for Aldo and a dress for Rita. Since we have been trying to get out some every afternoon to go from door to door, you can see how busy she has been."
Mother was especially grateful when one of the many visitors, a trained seamstress, remade an old coat for her. Mrs. Rosetti was a dear friend from La Carlota, converted during Dad and Mother's ministry there.
For the second year, Mrs. McLeish, who had hosted us in her boarding house when we first arrived in Buenos Aires, invited my parents to sing and play for the elderly women in the Brittish American Home. They spoke and sang many songs in English and were invited to come back. Among the hymns was the one about the ninety and nine sheep. A few days later, little Aldo was coloring a picture of the shepherd who went out in the desert to find his one lost sheep. Mother wrote what happened next:
He came to me and said "Mama, where in the song does it say about the little sheep out in the desert?" (He had heard his Daddy sing that song just the week before.) I got out the hymn book and read to him the hymn until we finished the phrase that says "Out in the desert He heard its cry--Sick and helpless, and ready to die." Then he said, "But, Mama, that makes me cry." He began to cry and until we cut the little lamb out and pasted it under the shepherd's arm he wasn't soothed. What tender hearts little ones have.
I spent considerable time reading the letters my parents wrote to family and friends reporting on our life in 1954. I also had an additional borrowed resource - Jim and Margaret Marshall's abundant correspondence - to help me understand life within the context of the Grace Brethren mission in Argentina back then when I was merely ten years old.
As I read, I sensed a growing weariness and discouragement, almost to the breaking point. These servants persisted in doing missionary work as they knew it, faithfully sharing the gospel message at every opportunity, canvassing their towns more than once, engaging in meaningful conversations and relationships, yet so little fruit resulted.
"So few folks come that one gets discouraged," wrote Jim on May 10 of '54. Once jokingly he said, "I just asked Margaret if she would have her nervous breakdown because if she could hold off while I have mine it might be better." My father shared similar feelings, "Mr. Hoyt wrote that he is so discouraged that it is hard to prepare messages." For some time Jim seriously contemplated not returning to Argentina after their term was up.
The dire spiritual conditions listed for Argentina in 1954 confirmed what I was learning. Here are a few:
- Argentina was considered by mission boards to be the least fruitful mission field in the Western Hemisphere.
- Spiritism was dominant in many cities and towns, with churches being unable to get a foothold in those communities.
- The occult had a grip on millions, influencing every level of society. Christians frequented witch doctors for remedies to their sicknesses when they didn’t have the money for modern medicine.
- Roman Catholicism, being the official state religion, discriminated severely against Protestant churches. Protestants were often forbidden to use radio and television, as well as to gain permission to conduct large evangelistic campaigns.
- Use of the 45,000 seat Atlantic Stadium
- Free access to state radio and press
- Freedom to preach anywhere they wanted.
The Christian Brethren denomination continued to grow, even though they had mixed feelings about the theological leanings of Tommy Hicks. Decades later, Argentina is still reaping the benefits of the outpouring of His Spirit in 1954. (1954 Argentina Revival)
Every great revival is preceeded by extraordinay prayer. The 1949 Argentina Revival was the spark that prepared the way.





No comments:
Post a Comment