Before publishng the previous chapter, the story of my dear friend Mirtha, I sent it to her for her approval and corrections. When she read it, she needed to clarify a few details, but more than that, she wanted to stress and explain why the events of that day during their stay with us in Buenos Aires were so significant.
I decided to ask her a series of questions to better comprehend her medical journey from the beginning.
"How old were you when you contracted polio?" I began.
"I was a baby. I was eight months. My parents were moved from Cabrera, where they pastored a Brethren church, to the city of Laboulaye to build up the church there. I was six or seven months at the time, and forty days after our arrival in Laboulaye, I contracted polio."
"What were the first symptoms?"
"My sister Sara told me that the first thing my mother noticed was that I only moved my eyes and the first phalanx, the tips of my fingers. But Mom had told me that when she tried to pick me up to feed me, it seemed like I had no bones, no spine. I was limp like a rag. She picked me up and I would fold over every which way. It was such a huge blow for her to see this. She immediately sent my sisters, Eunice and Sara, to get the doctor who lived across the street, Dr. Boris Joffe, a Jew. He came with another doctor who lived on the corner of that same street."
"I cannot imagine the anguish your parents must have felt."
The two doctors came and immediately detected the problem."
"Mrs. Siccardi," they said, "there are four cases of polio in the city. This is the fifth and it is the worst. This little girl is not going to live. The paralysis is only millimeters away from touching her brain."
He visited the two towns, Levalle and Jovita, regularly every couple weeks, evangelizing the town. And as he gained people for the Lord, he began to gather them. In both towns he had rented a small hall and there he also made his meals and coffee with a small kerosene burner he took with him.
![]() |
| 18 months, in the walker |
![]() |
| In Tito's little car |
![]() |
| Three years old Practicing walking on the sidewalk. Having some difficulty with the left leg. |
![]() |
| The family in Laboulaye |
You know, I still have a visual memory, visual and even physical. I remember lying on the cot, wrapped up, warm and comfortable, the doctor by my side, Babi and her mother coming in, carressing me, bringing me the doll . . . well, the entire family was involved.
When they returned to Israel in '48, he stayed in touch. His last letter, when he was nearing the end, was signed, 'Your friend and possibly brother.'"
"That's right. Almafuerte seemed, in many ways, like a paradise to us. But at the same time, that is where my scoliosis worsened seriously. The curvature of my spine was first noticed when I was six or seven years old. However, during puberty it accelerated alarmingly.
When we arrived in Almafuerte, I was nine, not yet ten. So, they sent me to the school that was practically next door to the mission. And, well, that was a whole period of tears and smiles. That was the time of many trips to the city of Córdoba. Then came the Bible Institute and the joy the students brought.
The first specialists to take on my case, when I was eleven or twelve years old, were a team from the Children's Hospital in Córdoba. It was a time of unending consultations with specialists.
In the many, many consultations I had been through until then in Córdoba, I had never felt scared. Now, for the first time ever, I began to cry. I couldn't help the tears falling. Then he hugged me. I can remember with what tenderness he drew me in close to his heart. 'Don't cry, little one,' he said. 'Whoever looks at your face will not even notice your back.' That did not prove true [laughing], however it was comforting then."
My father and mother had taken me to the botanical garden to get my mind off things. They bought some sandwiches to eat there. But we were seeing strange things. The sky would get very dark, and we heard strange noises. Then the caretaker came and said, 'Please, you must leave.' He told them what was happening.
I really don't know how we got back at that time, probably by train. And when we arrived back to your house, your dad had been watching from the rooftop and praying that we'd make it back alive.
What happened next was so special. That very day the organ or harmonium had arrived! So after dinner . . . (Your mom, as always, had prepared a wonderful meal. She made waffles, so delicious! I've never had waffles again. We didn't have waffle irons in Argentina. I think they are available now, but I haven't seen any around here.) Anyway, we all gathered around the organ, the whole family, my mom and dad, your parents, your little brothers . . . 'You play first! You play first!' you insisted.
So I sat down, and without giving it much thought I played the hymn that stood out to me,
Do you remember? My mother felt it in her heart like a bomb. From then on it was her favorite hymn. You know, that moment there in your house had such an impact. To the end of her life, Mother believed that my spinal column would not get worse and would even straighten.
I know your parents were of great comfort to my dad and mother. I went with you to your room, and we talked and laughed and had fun. Yes, of course, I was still emotional, in shock, but your company did me so much good. It was so wonderful to be with you. I just wanted to tell you that because it was so important to me. That very hard moment in the British Hospital and then the very sweet moment in your home."
"What happened next in your medical journey?"
My stay there also served as an inspiration later when I wrote the novel. I could go out on the balcony of the German chalet. From there I watched Peter, one of the doctor's sons, so friendly, and he became one of the characters. The youngest son with the angry look became the protagonist.
![]() |
| My place in the world for five years |
I was bedridden from 14 to 19 years of age. Oh, and at night I hung from a contraption that held me by my jaw and nape, back of the neck. The head of the bed was raised with bricks under the head posts and my body weight kept me stretched out all night. The device could swivel so I was able to change positions at will and sleep on my stomach or back or on my side, but always hanging. All those years left a callous on my jaw. I was so thin and pale, my sister called me little greenhouse flower.
For my fifteenth birthday, they took me to a professional photographer for this photo. (It appears they combed my hair, too.)"
| First edition |
![]() |
| Second edition |
It was only then that they told us and we learned the extent of the danger: my spinal cord could've broken at any moment, my heart stop functioning or I could suffocate for lack of air. I was never short of breath, even though I only have less than a half of one lung that works. I never noticed it, except that I tire more often than others who do not have that problem."
Finally, throughout my lifetime I received five sentences of certain death or total paralysis. None of that has happened so far. As far as I know I am alive. I am well. Although currently, I've been going through a more difficult period due to total exhaustion after being a caregiver for Eunice and my beloved husband in their last years of life. It is very difficult to overcome and has even affected my mobility. If the Lord wills, I am not leaving just yet. I do believe I still have more to accomplish."
"Yes, that is the story, a constant miracle.
Miracles are not always noisy and sudden. God works as He wills. In my case, there was no instant miracle. Rather, it has been a daily miracle throughout these many long years. It is a miracle I live day by day that becomes so normal and natural that I often forget that my life is a miracle. However, we all live by miracles, as the Lord gives each of us the quota of health that we need."











What an amazing story of God's grace. Thank you for sharing it. I've never know this.
ReplyDeleteAn amazing story of God's grace and perseverance. Thank You for sharing so beautifully.
ReplyDelete