Among the visitors that stayed with us in Don Bosco, was the Siccardi family. Mirtha, their youngest daughter became my dearest friend. I believe this is the first photo of us together. She is on my left.
This one time, however, Mirtha and her family came to Buenos Aires for medical reasons.
Mirtha contracted polio as a baby. As she grew into adolescence, her spinal column began to deteriorate and deviate rapidly endangering vital organs--lungs, heart and spinal cord. The reason for their visit to the capital was for a consultation with specialists at the British Hospital where her eldest sister Eunice was a nurse in training.
I cannot pinpoint the exact dates of their stay, however Mirtha remembers that it was at the start of the "Revolution", perhaps September of 1955.
I found a prayer request in the denominational magazine about the time when she was hospitalized.
(Brethren Missionary Herald, 18.08.56)
The final decision of the medical team was that Mirtha had to spend five years of bed rest during that critical growth period. Her wise father discerned Mirtha's gift of writing and encouraged her to participate in a contest sponsored by L.E.A.L. (Literatura Evangélica para América latina). Her novel won third place! Moody Publishers won over several that would have published it. It was a bestseller.
Amazingly, God protected those letters, they suffered minimal damage--some burnt edges and water marks, but still mostly readable. I was able to scan most of the letters before sending the binder back to Mirtha. Thus, it will remain another treasured resource to draw on as I write my life stories.
But now, allow me to go back and add to Mirtha's story. I found an article published in April of 1944 telling of little Mirtha's very serious case of infantile paralysis and God's intervention in answer to prayer.
Mirtha is almost two years older than I. Our correspondence began when we were children.
![]() |
| March 3, 1954 |
At camp that year there were three of us little girls that hung out together. We adopted the following nicknames: Ester was ovejita, I was pollito (little chicken), and Mirtha was conejito (little bunny). My next letter, July 28, was appropriately illustrated.
The last letter in the thick binder is dated May 1972. By then, I was married and living in Germany. In the intervening years, Mirtha became a literature professor and for twenty years was totally in charge of a Christian magazine for children, El Puentecito. Sharing the gospel with the young generation has been her life-long passion.
This is an early sample, published shortly before Mirtha married Aldo Ferro.
In January of 1997, I was privileged to travel to Argentina and spend a few days in their home.
Last year, Mirtha lost her husband of more than thirty years. The following is my favorite photo of this dear couple.
Amazingly, God has kept her all these years to spread love and care to others.
June 17th is Mirtha's 80th birthday. In her honor, here is a prayer of blessing.
The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.
the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.











Hi Rita, I don’t know you, but I found your blog in Facebook, and certainly I knew Mirtha since I was kid. I grew up in Rio Tercero, Cordoba and went through biblical school and teens group in charge of Mirtha, also my mum collaborated with her in some El Puentecito’s issues. It was really nice to read those stories and bringing back to memory the valuable person Mirtha was for many of us. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteFederico Torres (torres.federico@gmail.com)
Gracias por este comentario, Fede. No te conozco, pero tenemos una hermosa amiga en común.
Delete