Saturday, December 31, 2022

1961


End of Year Photo

As I continue to dig into the available sources to make sense of those long ago days, I learn more about my parents, their life interests and myself.

Dad wrote an article for the August issue of the Heraldo Evangélico Argentino, titled 
"La Exposición de los siglos" [The Exhibit of the Ages].

From childhood I have frequented exhibits of one kind or another and spent pleasant moments examining the items attractively displayed there for the enjoyment and instruction of the public. A few months ago I was a spectator of the Sesquicentennial Exhibition in Buenos Aires. As I went from one booth to another, I was able to appreciate the development of the nation until this 150th anniversary, in every aspect of life--social, industrial, cultural, educational, commercial scientific, etc.  
The article goes on to enumerate and explain the multiple ways in which God reveals the wonders of creation, his grace and divine wisdom in the plan of redemption. 

I was interested to note Dad´s life-long enjoyment of exhibits and especially his desire to learn all he could about the country where he chose to live. I inherited a similar curiosity.
 
In the Noticias section of that same issue of the Heraldo, I learned interesting tidbits about the activities and events of 1961.
Don Bosco
The young people and the pastor are making 16 benches for the sanctuary and 8 little benches for the Sunday School rooms. Until now the benches used belong to the tent equipment. 
Seven young people from this congregation attended the annual Child Evangelism conference in the Capital. They were greatly blessed and especially challenged to put into practice what they learned. Some of them requested the correspondence course for teachers. 
We were blessed by the visit of Angel Camandona, Bible Institute student, in four recent meetings. His presence among the youth and his message Sunday, July 9, were such a blessing. 
It was around this time that the young people decided to divide the group and start yet another Hora Feliz (children's Bible class). I explained this to Mirtha, my friend:

Slum behind the hospital (left in background)

One Sunday we decided to start a new children´s Bible class in a slum area here in Don Bosco close to the hospital because there were 6 of us, and occasionaly more, who went to Villa Domínico to have the Hora Feliz, and we thought that by splitting we could not only reach more but also those in charge would take the responsibility more seriously being totally in charge. Each of us had choose where we would go as the Lord led. That is, everyone except me, because we agreed that the children in Villa Domínico were accustomed to gathering when they heard the accordeon so I would continue going there. Julio always felt called to work in a poor neighborhoods . . . and Antonio also felt called to the new class.  Ricardo and Roberto did not want to give up the one in V. Domínico. Then, because we needed a girl to go to the new class, Mabel decided to go there. That is how the forces were divided. 

Antonio teaching


Roberto teaching

 

 

Roberto remembers going to a rough neighborhood to bring some of those children who wanted to attend Sunday School, and having to take a longer roundabout route to avoid certain dengerous areas. 



That effort prospered and grew. I wrote to Mirtha that I had experienced a moment of discouragement and failure.
It was a Sunday when the Hora Feliz in Villa Domínico had a very poor attendance and the other new one had a wonderful attendance. Because I go to V. Domínico, I felt responsible, like it was my fault, and helpless. I cried. 

Reading that paragraph, I was reminded of a period of time, which I cannot pinpoint precisely, that I went through a time of discouragement and general apathy. My father lovingly called me out on that attitude and his words shook me out of that despondency.

The following photos lead me to conclude that when the Marshalls came through Buenos Aires on their way to the US we may have had a farewell reunion along with the Maconaghys and some from the Mármol congregation.

It was also the year that my friend Mirtha´s book became available and caused quite a stir in our various circles. I described this in colorful detail in my letter, August 29, 1961.
Subject: The most marvellous book by the famous author, Mirtha Febe Siccardi

This is going to be very long because I want to tell you all I can possibly remember about the things that happened since your precious book became available.

The first one to buy it was Julio, who right away read it a second time, and enjoyed it as much or more than the first time. 

Then my father brought 10 copies to sell. Mrs. Alessandria bought it and read it in one night and, of course, was delighted. 

The Alessandrias with a young girl they helped

 Here I will pause to introduce Mrs. Alessandria in my mother´s words, from a talk she gave during furlough.

I want to tell you about Mrs. Alessandria. We had heard that she wanted a Bible so took a Bible with us and went to visit her. She happened to be sick that day and we couldn´t see her. A short time after, we went again. On this visit she opened up her heart and told us her story. She has two children a son and a daughter. The daughter was married, but the son was still at home. One night he got up in the middle of the night and went out to his father´s shop (he´s and iron worker) and stole some of his most valuable tools then he went off to live with an immoral woman. To this day he has never spoken to them. I was with her one day when he passed by. She spoke to him but he never answered. We told her one day, that maybe the Lord permitted this so that she would realize her need of a Saviour. Evidently right then when we were explaining things to her from the Bible, she accepted the Lord but we never knew about it until our next visit. We asked her if she wouldn´t give her heart to the Lord. "Oh" she said, "Pastor, I did that last time you were here".

 Continuing the trajectory of Mirtha's page-turner, Brillando para Él:

Mirta Fisher bought it, read it and loved it.

Mabel bought it and while in the hospital, where she´d had an appendectomy, started to read it the second morning after the operation. She read two chapters and thought to stop there so as not to exert herself too much, but was unable to put it down and finished it that morning, tired and delighted. That afternoon I went to see her and she was not well enough to have visitors, but not only because of your book (so don´t feel guilty, be happy!) but also because before me others had been there, including Julio who made her laugh too much (which she could not do so soon after surgery) thinking he was doing her a kindness seeing her sad and downcast. After reading it, Mabel gave it to a nurse who had questioned her about the book.

My mom stayed up till I don´t what late hour of the night, devouring your book. The next night she was exhausted. (Do you realize what harm you have caused). ¡Ah! and the same thing happened to Mrs. Maconagly who stayed up two nights reading past midnight and absolutely loved it. My mother also says it is very good, but there is one thing she did not like (don´t worry, it´s a joke), that Monica was a readhead. [Mother never liked her own red hair. She had been teased mercilessly as a child.]

Silvia Reta [Julio's younger sister] read it. She started one night and continued the next morning . . .The next day as we were coming back from school together, she told me, "You know, I read Mirtha's book . . . it's 'divine'" and then kept talking the entire way home about your book--wonderful and very feminie, very good plot, beautiful ending, and so much more.

A young woman, nicknamed Pepita, from Mendoza, with a beautiful voice so they say, who is taking voice lessons at the Teatro Colón [the main opera house in Buenos Aires] and is staying with them, promised to read it. 

One day I took your book to school and they were all fighting over who would read it first. My seat mate read it and liked it and asked for your address so she can write to you. 

Now the others are reading it. I have 39 classmates so I don't know when everyone will finish reading it. 

I am reading it again little by little, because what's happened with all these loans is that now there is never a copy in the house. 

The Covers

In my September 5 letter to Mirtha, I wrote about two visitors: the Cover family--Bob, Joene, Viki (6), Lynnie (3), y Bobby (casi 2)--new missionaries who were with us from Thursday to Monday. They came from language school in Costa Rica and were now headed to take over the work in Corral de Bustos. I enjoyed them so much that I spoke effusively about them. They would reappear several times later in my life story.

The next visitor was Carlos Sotola, a young man from the interior, from one of our churches in the province of Córdoba. He was doing his military service in Buenos Aires, and most often spent his free time in Mármol. But this particular Sunday in September he came to Don Bosco for the day. He was embarrased to come to our home for the noon meal as we were already so many with the new missionaries, so Julio invited him to have a picnic lunch together.

Then the two guys went to a grocery store and bought cold cuts, "dulce de batata con chocolate" [a gelatin-type paste or dessert made with sweet potato and chocolate], cheese and I don't know what else and then went to a bakery to buy bread, and were off to set up camp. They ate; Ricardo came by to see them; Julio went home to tell his mother that he had already had lunch; he came back with his little bike and since the place where they were is hilly, the three of them took turns flying down the hill on the bicycle, which by the way has no brakes!

These young people knew how to have fun!

Later they joined the group going to Villa Domínico for the children´s Bible class, another wholesome and rewarding kind of fun!

On the way home, Lynn had a premonition that we would be welcoming more visitors. He said this often and we teased him about it. But this time it was true. Mrs. Rossetti and her daughter Amalia awaited us. Carlos joined us also that evening so we were 14 for dinner.

There would be so much more to tell about every one mentioned in this chapter. These are mere glimpses into the intricate pattern God was weaving with our lives. Several names will reappear in future episodes.

An important event that year took place in General Deheza, December 16, the wedding of a couple that would, in years to come, play a significant role in the history of the Don Bosco congregation. 

 Wedding of Eduardo and Nora Coria

Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! 
How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!
(Romans 11:33)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment