The young people played a significant role in the work in Don Bosco. They were very dear to my father's heart. In his final message to the congregation, in 1963, he reflected on the importance of training and raising up children in the Sunday School, who then become involved in every aspect of the ministry.
About two years ago we began to notice obvious results of the years of work among the children through the Sunday School. They are now young people and every day they are taking on more responsibility. These young people are becoming men and bringing stability to the work. They are youth whose entertainment is to serve the Lord: they have two Bible clubs for children and plan to start more; they lead the Sunday School almost completely and lead the singing in some of the other services; they preach occasionally; they have given many hours to the work of building the temple, and for this tenth anniversary campaign they have done practically everything. We give thanks to the Lord as we believe they have done it all for His glory.
Some of the teengers worked with my father from early days making folding chairs, benches and other woodworking projects. They were involved alongside Dad in all the phases of the construction of the Templo Evangélico.
In his farewell message, summarizing the period between August 1958 and December 1962, Dad recalls the days shortly after our return from the US and later on.
We started the work of finishing the temple. The sidewalks were completed and a few other small tasks. Desiring to finish the plaster and the floor, we obtained a loan . . . but, in time we saw the need for more space for the Sunday School. So we did not stop until we had built on a two-story addition approximately 9 by 39 feet . . . Recently we were able to give it the fine coat of plaster. We purposed to finish all the details for this dedication, however, in spite of the good will especially of the young people, we were not able to reach our goal due to the many things remaining and the lack of time.
No doubt the skills they learned working alongside my father have served them well in life.
I remember that Dad would go to the Temple early every morning to meet with some of the guys before they took the train to go to their respective jobs.
Letters to the Hirschy family were becoming infrequent, so when one arrived written in March, my grandparents included it in its entirety among the summaries sent out to the siblings scattered abroad. Mother started the letter on the 24th.
I have a pile of work but since there is no light nor water I can't do a thing . . . We've had so much trouble lately with electricity and water . . . Most of the time we have around 150 volts instead of 220 and last night it went down to 100 and then was out for about five hours. We had a very romantic candle light service last night. We've had to buy a voltage regulator plus have the pump motor rewound all because of the low current and now to top it off when we get the regulator there's no light at all. Today the kids went with their lessons only half studied. An incubator baby died becuse of it . . . Now to go to a brighter theme. We've had real good services the last two Sundays . . .
![]() |
| Mabel teaching the Bible lesson |
The young people have started another happy hour [Hora Feliz children's Bible class] in Villa Domínico. It´s a joy also to see how the young people are learning to sing. Now we have a girl´s trio and a male quartet and a choir. Every Sunday night we have special music and it adds a lot to the service.
Eunice Siccardi [Mirtha´s older sister] is with us for a couple of months. She is living in the garage and since she works 12 hours a day as a private nurse we barely see her at all. She is interested in starting a hospital in the North among the Indians. She came to earn enough money to make a trip of investigation to see if the Lord really wants her to do it.
This week Sam was in Río Cuarto for three days. There are so many problems to solve . . . places without pastors, the Foreign Board is in debt. Now we won´t have money to repair the Ford A.
The Hoyt family and their car in 1961
The Field Council wants us to go to Río Cuarto when the Marshalls leave in June, but it is hard for us to understand that it is wise to take three children out of school in the middle of the year . . . We have no desire to go and trust the Lord will work it out . . . At least we don´t feel willing to go until after the school year is finished.
Last week I fixed over an old raincoat for Lynn. It´s almost impossible to be without a raincoat in B.A. this week I want to fix over an overcoat of Aldo´s to fit Ivan. He´s getting tall and thinner and is growing out of most of his clothes. He gives us a lot of joy and on the whole is quite a good boy.
March 27, Dad took over the letter-writing.
If I don't get at this letter it will be here for at least another week. Kathryn has too many things to do and I guess that is true of all but Aldo and Ivan. Lynn and Rita are busy from 6 A.M. until 9 P.M. High School here is serious business, if one doesn't keep up day by day he is sunk. Lynn recited [was called on to go to the front of the class and explain the assigned homework lesson to the class] in Botany the other day and got a perfect grade so he is starting out all right. He had to take an entrance exam to get in the school and he felt quite sure of himself. However, according to the lowest grade permitted, he was excluded, only got in because they lowered the standard.
![]() |
| Julio, Roberto, Antonio |
I have an early morning prayer meeting with some of the boys from the church . . . One is especially desirous of going to the Bible Institute . . . He arises at 6:30 A.M. and after breakfast on his way to take the train passes by the church for prayer. He works till noon eats a few sandwiches which he carries with him, studies right there in the shop, works till 6 in the evening, goes to high school night classes till midnight doesn't arrive home till about 12:30 or 1.
In Mother's letter, April 19, she made reference to our daily routine.
The baby [Ivan], Rita and Lynn are all sleeping a siesta. We get up at 6 every morning so they rest a little in the afternoon, then get up and study. Aldo is in school. Leaves home 20 to 1 P.M. and gets home at 5:15. He is just as thin as ever and most every night and morning has a spell of sneezing. We haven't found out just what his trouble is.
In my letter to my dear friend Mirtha, I made reference to my crazy schedule, going to bed after midnight and rising at 5:30 or 6:30 to leave for school at 7:00. I was tired from studying morning to night (and I didn't even have a job like the guys!). I quoted my little brother Ivan's cute expression, "Estoy sueño" (incorrect Spanish for "I am sleepy").
I resumed the letter the next day, May 6.
Well, in a little while we will have a young people's meeting and it will be a study in Homiletics. Several of the guys want to learn how to give messages. Two of them meet with my Dad for prayer every morning. They also learn a verse each day.
What I referred to as the postre (dessert) of the letter, was the news that Mirtha's book had been published! (See previous chapters about Mirtha.) We were hoping that her sister Eunice could bring a copy as it was not yet available.
Days later I wrote in celebration of the day I finished reading it.
Today, the 15 of May, 1961, I have finished reading your wonderful book. I cannot express with words what I feel, it is something so very beautiful and profound.
You know, here there has been, there is, and there will be for a long time a revolution because of your very precious book. Lynn read it first and when he got to the end he wanted to cry because there was no more book to read. I was the second in starting to read it but it happens that Eunice told me that when I finished it I should give it to Julio (because he was dying to read it) and since it was Sunday afternoon, I wanted to give it to him that night at church. I read and read, swallowed and swallowed, full of admiration and pride for my friend . . . but I was not able to finish it before the service. I gave it to him anyway because I preferred that he read it first. Last night he stayed up till 12, or until his mother told him to turn off the light. This morning going and coming from work, walking, and in every spare moment, he continued to read and finished it, also very moved.
Other items of news scattered in the letters:
Dad mentioned that in April twenty-five Russians immigrated to Argentina. The papers said that they belonged to the Greek Orthodox church, a sect called "Old Faith" and when it became too difficult for them to continue their religion they fled via China. "We would like to have gone to see them come off the boat but couldn't make it. They are the first 25 of 100 who are coming."
He later wrote about the special meetings, May 22-24, with Dr. José Adam, an ex-priest (convert from the order of the Carmelitas Descalzos de Barcelona), and how the congregation and visitors enjoyed them thoroughly.
In June, the Marshalls left for the US. I was especially surprised to read in my correspondence with Mirtha, that my parents bought Margaret's accordeon for me! I was thrilled! "Es hermosísimo tocar el acordeón. Estoy loca de contenta." (It's wonderful/beautiful to play the accordeon. I'm crazy happy.) The instrument served to attract the children to start the Bible class when we arrived at the empty lot in Villa Domínico.
June 21 I wrote and described the monthly participation of the youth in the Sunday service.
The young people are in charge of one service per month . . . one leads, another one gives an object lesson, there is a special number, someone reads and then one of the guys preaches. I'm talking about the Sunday evening worship service. This plan started a month ago and the first to preach was Roberto. Since there are four guys, Dad assigned them in the order in which they had come to the Lord or to the church: Roberto F., Julio R., Ricardo R., and Antonio M.
![]() |
| Roberto Fernández |
This week it was Julio's turn to give the message . . .He came to the house and asked my father to help him organize the topic of justification . . . Then he was preparing most of the week in his favorite place to study, the temple. Sunday afternoon he didn't go to the children's Bible club in Villa Domínico but stayed back with his good buddy, Antonio, to practice preaching to the benches and to Antonio.
When we returned from Villa Domínico, Mabel and I went to the temple to paint something on the board for the object lesson she was going to give and when we arrived we heard shouting. It was the preacher for the evening practicing.
![]() |
| Julio Reta |
One lady after the service said it had been "Super!" Another said: "Shorty outdid himself! 10 and Honorable Mention!" My Dad told him: "Well done, Julio, very good. I hope all follow your example and really have such a grasp of their topic." And as for me, it was the first time I understood justification.
We became a very close-knit group as we served together and learned so much. I am grateful that we were allowed these many opportunities even though we were so young.
Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.
(1 Timothy 4:12)








No comments:
Post a Comment